Saturday, December 1, 2007

A big tent

A comment by "Steve" on this LA Times article summarized one of my great hopes for a Ron Paul Presidency:
I have never seen so many people from all sections of our society come together for a common cause before like I see with the Ron Paul movement. In my meetup group there are doctors, lawyers, cooks, nurses, teachers, bus drivers, highway patrolman, 2 electricians, a WW2 vet and several Vietnam vets. Rich poor, young and old are coming together under the banner of freedom, it's the American way.

When I search Google News for "Ron Paul" recently, I see overwhelmingly positive coverage - most of it from people who disagree with his positions. I believe a majority of Americans agree with Paul's positions. Although he is not well-known enough (yet) to test this belief, the success of his meme is supporting evidence. More profoundly, I believe that the vast majority of Americans can respect Paul as a leader and be proud of America with Paul as head-of-state.

Isn't a united America, in all its diversity, a vision worth working for? To me, it's a vision worth voting for.

No comments: